Natural DIY Air Fresheners
I used to love it when actors would step into our makeup trailer and immediately comment on how wonderful it smelt. I would look proudly at my newest little air freshener that I had just purchased thinking what a wonderful investment it had been.
Or was it?
When I first learned that fragrance could be highly toxic, I seriously didn’t want to believe it. I loved fragrance. So at first I denied it, then as time went by, I became curious as I started to connect my headaches and foggy thinking moments to times I was surrounded by fragrance. I reluctantly started doing my homework and learned much more than I wanted to. I found reports and studies that linked fragrance to neurotoxicity, cancer, and endocrine disruption.
Many fragrances contain petroleum bi-products, and even phthalates, which are carcinogenic endocrine disruptors. Often, a single perfume can contain hundreds of ingredients, resulting in chemical toxicity, central nervous system disorders, birth defects, headaches, dizziness, nausea, fainting, respiratory issues and the list goes on and on.
So yes it was a sad realization, but before long and after much searching, I realized pure essential oils were a much better option and even could be therapeutic. However, some essential oils themselves may contain synthetic ingredients, so it’s important to make sure to only use 100% Pure Therapeutic grade essential oils.
Essential oils can enhance mood, aid fatigue, stress and depression. Even though they are typically much safer than fragrances or perfumes, pure grade oils are potent and should be used carefully and avoided during pregnancy. Most oils should not be ingested.
Instead of trying to mask odors, try to eliminate them altogether.
Some simple things that can be done include:
- cleaning the refrigerator often, including the tray and racks with a mild castile soap and baking soda.
- Also, leaving a box of baking soda open, in the fridge will help.
- Cleaning out the garbage cans in the same way can help eliminate household odors.
To amp up the good scents, here are some simple fixes:
- Placing a drop of essential oil on a warming plate can help.
- In the bathroom, dropping essential oil onto the cardboard roll that the toilet paper rolls on will help refresh the clean scent of the oil.
- Placing a drop of your favorite oil onto your vacuum bag fills the room with a nice fresh scent as well.
Laurie & Tiffany